[protege-discussion] Protege 3.4.4 (579) 64-bit max heap size

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 3 23:18:54 PDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Len Yabloko wrote:

> Thank you for all responces. I spent much of the day trying to use
> all available memory for loading Protege frames. The best result I
> got was with
> -XX:MaxPermSize=3000M, although I am not sure that was it. Here is
> the screenshot of Windows 7 task manager showing the big plato and
> then sudden jump at the end. Can someone explain it?

I would guess  that such a MaxPermSize is not recommended - it is far
too large.  I am a bit uncertain as to what the issue is here.  Are
you getting OutOfMemory errors and if so what do they look like?  Do
they mention the PermGen space?  Simply not using the memory may not
be a problem.  Are you trying to reduce the amount of garbage
collection that is occurring?

Setting the initial heap size with -Xms will give java the hint that
you want to allocate more  space up front.  It is often recommended
that the Xmx and Xms get set at the same time for the reason that
Peris  gives below.  But this also makes java allocate space even if
it doesn't need it.

-Timothy