[protege-discussion] Homonym relationships

Thomas Russ tar at isi.edu
Wed Sep 8 09:35:41 PDT 2010

On Sep 7, 2010, at 9:10 PM, manjula wijewickrema wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In my ontology, I need to give homonym relationships (same word, but
> have two different meanings) for some selected classes. For example,
> the word 'Ontology' is given in my knowledge base and it has two
> different meanings in philosophy and information sciences. So how
> can I build the homonym reltionships among them usin Protege? (when
> I quering the word 'Ontology', this both meanings should be given by
> the system.)

There a couple of ways you could do this.  But one fundamental feature
they all share is that you have to create a unique ontology object for
each of the different meanings that you want to have.  So you would
have to have two different ontology objects for "Ontology", to
represent the different meanings.

Using separate namespaces with different URNs like Alex Shkotin
described is one way of setting up different meanings.  Another option
would be to use your own naming scheme inside a single namespace, say
calling the classes Ontology_ComputerScience and Ontology_Philosophy.
A third approach would use generated names for these items and then
annotations to associate human readable names.

The second issue is how to associate these different meanings with the
string "Ontology".  You could do this in several ways, but one common
method would be to use an AnnotationProperty to associate words with
particular classes.  You would then do our query over the values of
the words on this AnnotationProperty.  One nice feature of this
structure is that you can then have both multiple classes with the
same word, and also multiple words for each class.