[protege-discussion] adding Synonyms in Protege

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sat Dec 3 17:31:28 PST 2011

On 12/02/2011 09:59 PM, Shaikh AbdulKhalique wrote:

> I am trying to add synonyms in developing of computer resource
> ontology.However, I
>
> read in Protege FAQ that it does not support.

This is an old faq and I think it is talking about the frames editor.  I
am guessing that you are probably working with OWL

> Protege has alternative method to do
>
> so. I have tried that one but no luck. Is anyone know how we can add
> synonyms in
>
> developing ontology.For example I have one concept " PrimaryMemory" in
> my computer
>
> resource ontology but now I want to add its synonyms "RAM" in it.The
> semantic similarity between both concepts is 1.

This is not really a Protege question but an OWL question.  How you do
this depends on what you want.  If you have two classes and you want to
say that they have the same members then you can simply say that they
are equivalent to one another.  If you have a class and you want to say
that the concept that it represents can be expressed with the string
"RAM" then you can add an annotation property to indicate the synonym.
Of these two choices the second is fairly common.  Sometimes though two
named classes are defined as equivalent because they two classes are
used in two different ontologies.

-Timothy