[protege-discussion] What MIME type does Protege asks when reading ontology from given URI?

Nikola Milikic nikola.milikic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 10:14:27 PST 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my ontology to be available online, alongside with it's
specification.

Following '*Configuring Apache HTTP Server for RDFS/OWL Ontologies Cookbook*'
[1] I want to set up my server to be able to serve different types of
content for different agents (which actually just asks for different
'Accept' attribute in the HTTP header).

One of the agents I would like to be able to properly fetch the ontology is
Protege (in .rdf form, of course). In my .htaccess file, I stated that if an
agent doesn't asks for: *text/plain, text/html, text/xml, application/xml,*
*, application/xhtml+xml*, i.e. sends '*Accept: application/rdf+xml*', it
will be served .rdf file. When I curl it from the console with a switch *-H
"Accept: application/rdf+xml"*, it works fine. But if I try to read the
ontology from Protege, it always reads the html form of the ontology (the
spec), not the .rdf file.

Finally, my question is, how does the HTTP header looks like when Protege is
reading an ontology given the URI of the ontology (from the Welcome Screen
in Protege)? What is the MIME type in the HTTP Request header's 'Accept'
attribute? Or, if somebody has had a similar problem in setting the server
in similar fashion, I would appreciate assistance.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/VM/http-examples/2005-11-18/#recipe4

Best regards,
Nikola Milikic