[protege-discussion] OWL 1.0 and OWL 2.0

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 2 12:59:31 PDT 2011

Hello Graziele,

On 6/2/2011 12:36 PM, Graziele Rocco wrote:
> Does Owl 2.0 support fuzzy ontologies? If it does, can I load a fuzzy
> ontology created on Protege 4.1 on Protege 3.4?

I'm sorry - I don't know much on the topic of fuzzy ontologies.  You
might be interested in reading a presentation from the 2009 Protege
Conference entitled "Fuzzy Protege for Fuzzy Ontology Models":

http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2009/abstracts/S10P2Ghorbel.pdf

> I've already tried to open a fuzzy ontology created on Protege 3.4 on
> Protege 4.1 and it doesn't work. Why does this happen?

If you've tried opening an ontology written in a format that Protege
doesn't support, this is likely the reason.  Although, it's hard to say
w/out knowing what file you tried to open and w/out seeing the error
messages from the Protege console window.

> I've tested some of the examples found in the Protege Wiki, and they
> work on both versions.
> What features of owl 2.0 are not supported by owl 1.0 and what
> features of owl 1.0 are not supported on owl 2?

The W3C has a document on their website "OWL 2 Web Ontology Language:
New Features and Rationale", which addresses your question:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-new-features-20081202/

Jennifer