[protege-discussion] reasoner issue

Jie Zheng jiezheng at pcbi.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 2 13:55:44 PDT 2011

We developed an ontology using Protege 4.1. The Pellet and Hermit were
used for consistent checking and inference. No inconsistency is found.
However, when we ran Pellet 1.5.2 in Protege 3.4.6, it showed a long
list of inconsistent concepts. The following message was shown when ran
the Pellet:

WARNING: Errors at synchronizing OWL model with the reasoner --
java.lang.ClassCastException:
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.model.impl.DefaultRDFSNamedClass can
not be cast to edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.model.OWLNamedClass
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.owlapi.converter.OWLAPIConverter.convertClasses(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.owlapi.converter.OWLAPIConverter.convert(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.pellet.ProtegePelletOWLAPIReasoner.getOwlApiOntology(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.pellet.ProtegePelletOWLAPIReasoner.rebind(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.protegeowl.task.protegereasoner.SynchronizeReasonerTask.transmitToReasoner(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.protegeowl.task.protegereasoner.SynchronizeReasonerTask.run(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.reasoner.AbstractProtegeReasoner.synchronizeReasoner(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.pellet.AbstractProtegePelletReasoner.performTask(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.reasoner.AbstractProtegeReasoner.performTask(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.reasoner.AbstractProtegeReasoner.computeInferredIndividualTypes(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.ui.action.ComputeInferredTypesAction$1.executeReasonerActions(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference.ui.ReasonerActionRunner$2.run(Unknown
Source)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

We don't know whether the ontology is inconsistent or it is caused by
incompatible of two versions of Protege or some other issues.

I attached the ontology. Any help on it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jie