[protege-discussion] Configurating and tweaking WebProtege

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 15 11:25:02 PDT 2011

Hi Hannes,

This is the right mailing list for WebProtege.

You can create forms for editing individuals, and this is one of the
strength of WebProtege.

Besides the portlets that users can rearrange in the UI, you can also
create forms similar to the Protege 3.x forms, in which you can
associate to one property a specific editing widget. I attached two
screenshots from a configuration that I made for someone below. You can
also organize the widgets in different tabs, e.g. Metadata and Curation
Status is shown in the screenshots.

The configuration of the forms has to be done still in the configration
XML file. We are working on making it available through the UI. We have
documentation on how to configure the WebProtege UI here:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtegeLayoutConfig

and form specific here:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PropertyFormPortlet

In terms of access policies, you can set them in the metaproject
(http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_Client_Server_Tutorial_Configuration).
Right now, you can configure the users to have read and write access to
the ontology, but we don't have a finer grain control (e.g. don't allow
a user to edit classes, but allow them to edit instances). Usually, we
do this by hiding some of the features from the UI that would allow them
to perform the "forbidden" operations, and configure the UI so that they
see the elements that they are allowed to edit.

We will add a light weight form of access control in the very near
future that will allow you to specify which user groups are allowed to
edit the values at the level of a portlet and widget. E.g., you'll be
able to specify that a user can edit the synonym property, but not the
label, etc.

If you have questions about how to configure a particular widget, I am
happy to help.

You should use the latest Beta release of WebProtege to get most features.

Tania