[protege-discussion] Using the Tutorial: Things don't look right

maroun marouncorbane at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 22:47:12 PDT 2011

Hi Bruce,

                                           <Thanks so much.  I'm finding it
interesting>
you are most welcomed.

       < So, I got the vocabulary named BIO for Biographic information and
imported it into Protégé 3.x.  Strangely it didn't actually import or
include a namespace prefix of bio.  So, I'm a little confused.  If the
vocabulary is defined and available on the web, should I or do I need to
import it to use it?  Or do I just add a namespace prefix which links to the
vocabulary specification?>

I definitely recommend that you use Protégé 4.1 (build 234) or later. you
can find download information
here:http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.1/installanywhere/Web_Installers/

Thus, I have no exact reply regarding BIO vocabulary because I actually
never used it, I find no problem while importing this vocabulary; I went to
the active ontology --> import : I wrote the uri:
http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/ and when I go to the object or data property
It is all there.

FOAF did represent some problems earlier as I remember regarding properties,
with properties that are datatype and object properties at the same time;
you can check this topic if you are interested.
http://protege-ontology-editor-knowledge-acquisition-system.136.n4.nabble.com/Music-Ontology-in-Protege-lt-4-td8211.html

Regards,
Maroun