[protege-discussion] Using the Tutorial: Things don't look right

Bruce Whealton bruce at whealton.info
Mon Jun 20 04:52:30 PDT 2011

Hi Maroun,
            Maybe I need to get a better understanding of importing a
vocabulary or ontology.  I took a different route and saved the bio
vocabulary as RDF/XML and imported that file.  In that sense, it would be
like it was created inside Protégé if that makes any sense.  That is
different from referencing it with its uri.  So, if I wanted to extend BIO
and REL vocabularies inside Protégé and create some instance data, would it
be best to just reference an existing vocabulary and is that the same as
importing it?  In other words, the way I imported BIO was to actually import
the rdf/xml file that defines the bio schema.
            The larger question is what does Protégé do when it imports an
ontology?  Some ontologies might be built-in as it were, inside the code, so
that Protégé knows all about them but for others perhaps it is necessary
that Protégé imports all the RDF triples that make up the ontology in order
to reason and work with the graph data.
     I hope I made sense.  :-)
Thanks,
Bruce