[protege-discussion] Using the Tutorial: Things don't look right

Bruce Whealton bruce at
Mon Jun 20 05:00:33 PDT 2011

Thanks.  I am a bit confused about the differences between a Frames-based
ontology and an OWL ontology.  I thought that all the ontologies that
Protégé creates are based on OWL and the Frames part was just a way of
working with the data.
I wonder if the tutorial makes that clearer?
I was looking at a similar tutorial that was sent in an email that seemed to
have only parts of this entire publication, if I'm not mistaken.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Schneider
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 3:07 AM
To: User support for Core Protege and the Protege-Frames editor
Subject: Re: [protege-discussion] Using the Tutorial: Things don't look

The most recent version for Protégé 4 lives here:

On 18.06.2011, at 21:53, Bruce Whealton wrote:

> Hello all,
>         I am going through the tutorial from the site, the one that is
> done in PowerPoint.  It creates the Pizza Ontology.
> Some things are not right from what I am seeing.
> 1) Right click doesn’t work in the Frames editor
> 2) I noticed that tutorial was about Protégé 3.x which might explain the
> problems I was having.  So, is there a similar getting started tutorial
> for Protégé 4.x?
> 3) Can both versions import existing ontologies/vocabularies?
> 4) The documentation said that the installation should come with some
> example ontologies in the install folder.  When I installed Protégé 4.x
> that did not seem to be the case.
> Bruce

Dr. Thomas Schneider
Universität Bremen, FB 03
MZH, Raum 3100
Postfach 330440
28334 Bremen
+49 421 218-64432

Gubblecote (n.)
Deformation of the palate caused by biting into too many Toblerones.

protege-discussion mailing list
protege-discussion at

Instructions for unsubscribing: