[protege-discussion] Using the Tutorial: Things don't look right

maroun marouncorbane at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 05:21:16 PDT 2011

Hi Bruce,

< So, if I wanted to extend BIO
and REL vocabularies inside Protégé and create some instance data, would it
be best to just reference an existing vocabulary and is that the same as
importing it?>

I don't think that there is much of a difference, though I normally
reference the URI

<The larger question is what does Protégé do when it imports an
ontology?  Some ontologies might be built-in as it were, inside the code, so
that Protégé knows all about them but for others perhaps it is necessary
that Protégé imports all the RDF triples that make up the ontology in order
to reason and work with the graph data.>

You can find a detailed explanation here:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/owl/owl-imports.html

Regards,
Maroun