[protege-discussion] Using the Tutorial: Things don't look right

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 20 07:22:52 PDT 2011

On 06/20/2011 05:00 AM, Bruce Whealton wrote:
> Thanks.  I am a bit confused about the differences between a
> Frames-based ontology and an OWL ontology.

These are two separate ontology languages.  The OWL language [1] is a
well defined language with a well defined semantics.  The w3c
specifications ensure that OWL ontologies can be accessed and understood
by a variety of different tools.  The OWL language is based on
description logics and has an open world semantics.

The Protégé frames language dates before the OWL language was
introduced.  The language is loosely based on frame logic [2] which
supports the closed world semantics.   There is no standard for this
language and currently there is no formal semantics defined for it.  For
the most part, only Protégé based tools can understand the Protégé
frames language.  While the absence of a standards document might be
considered a serious drawback, the Protégé frames language has been
successfully used in several real world applications.

>   I thought that all the ontologies that Protégé creates are based on
> OWL and the Frames part was just a way of working with the data.

Protégé 3.* can read and write both Protégé frames ontologies and  OWL
ontologies.  Protégé 4 can only read and write OWL ontologies.
Conversion between the two languages is a bit problematic.  If you are
just starting, OWL is probably the recommended choice.

-Timothy

[1]http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/OWL_Working_Group
[2]http://flora.sourceforge.net/aboutFlogic.php