[protege-discussion] Export ontology from Protege server

Jie Zheng jiezheng at pcbi.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 22 13:22:55 PDT 2011

Hi Tania,

I saw the pop-up window you mentioned and the exported ontology is
worked this time. However, the export process is incredible slow. I
waited for about 7 minutes until the pop-up window showed up.

However, I got error again when exporting another ontology from same
Protege server. *The error message when open the exported ontology using
Protege 4.1 is:*
" org.semanticweb.owlapi.rdf.syntax.RDFParserException:
[line=553:column=56] Cannot answer characters when object properties are
excepted.
org.semanticweb.owlapi.rdf.syntax.RDFParserException:
[line=553:column=56] Cannot answer characters when object properties are
excepted.

Full Stack Trace

org.coode.owlapi.rdfxml.parser.OWLRDFXMLParserSAXException:
org.semanticweb.owlapi.rdf.syntax.RDFParserException:
[line=553:column=56] Cannot answer characters when object properties are
excepted.
     at
org.coode.owlapi.rdfxml.parser.RDFXMLParser.parse(RDFXMLParser.java:129)
     at
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.owlapi.ParsableOWLOntologyFactory.loadOWLOntology(ParsableOWLOntologyFactory.java:204)
     at
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.owlapi.OWLOntologyManagerImpl.loadOntology(OWLOntologyManagerImpl.java:725)
     at
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.owlapi.OWLOntologyManagerImpl.loadOntologyFromOntologyDocument(OWLOntologyManagerImpl.java:682)
     at
org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl.loadOntologyFromPhysicalURI(OWLModelManagerImpl.java:317)
     at
org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit.handleLoadFrom(OWLEditorKit.java:180)
     at
org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit.handleLoadRequest(OWLEditorKit.java:174)
     at
org.protege.editor.core.ProtegeManager.openAndSetupEditorKit(ProtegeManager.java:157)
     at
org.protege.editor.core.ProtegeWelcomeFrame$ProtegeWelcomePanel$2.actionPerformed(ProtegeWelcomeFrame.java:139)
     at
org.protege.editor.core.ui.util.LinkLabel.activateLink(LinkLabel.java:102)
     at
org.protege.editor.core.ui.util.LinkLabel.access$100(LinkLabel.java:30)
     at
org.protege.editor.core.ui.util.LinkLabel$1.mouseReleased(LinkLabel.java:68)
Caused by: org.semanticweb.owlapi.rdf.syntax.RDFParserException:
[line=553:column=56] Cannot answer characters when object properties are
excepted.
     at
org.semanticweb.owlapi.rdf.syntax.RDFParser$PropertyElementList.characters(RDFParser.java:938)
     at
org.semanticweb.owlapi.rdf.syntax.RDFParser.characters(RDFParser.java:307)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.characters(Unknown
Source)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.characters(Unknown
Source)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown
Source)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
Source)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
Source)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
     at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
     at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
     at
org.semanticweb.owlapi.rdf.syntax.RDFParser.parse(RDFParser.java:173)
     at
org.coode.owlapi.rdfxml.parser.RDFXMLParser.parse(RDFXMLParser.java:119)
     ... 31 more"
---------------------------------

*There are up to 1549 errors when opened using Protege 3.4.6. Part of
the error message is:*
"Errors found performing operation.

1. An error occurred at parsing the OWL ontology

     http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/webService.owl

     at line 550 and column 54.
     Jena parse error message: {E201} rdf:about not allowed as attribute
here.
     Exception class com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.arp.impl.XMLHandler$1.
Message: {E201} rdf:about not allowed as attribute here.

2. An error occurred at parsing the OWL ontology

     http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/webService.owl

     at line 551 and column 63.
     Jena parse error message: {E201} rdf:resource not allowed as
attribute here.
     Exception class com.hp.hpl.jena.rdf.arp.impl.XMLHandler$1.
Message: {E201} rdf:resource not allowed as attribute here.
....."
-----------------------------------

Although the export ontology is succeeded, I saw *the error message
during the export:*
"SEVERE: Exception caught -- java.lang.ClassCastException:
java.lang.String cannot be cast to
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.model.RDFSClass
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.writer.rdfxml.renderer.RDFAxiomRenderer.renderClassAxioms(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.writer.rdfxml.renderer.RDFAxiomRenderer.visitOWLNamedClass(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.model.impl.DefaultOWLNamedClass.accept(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.writer.rdfxml.renderer.RDFAxiomRenderer.write(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.writer.rdfxml.rdfwriter.OWLModelContentWriter.writeContent(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.writer.rdfxml.rdfwriter.RDFXMLDocumentWriter.writeDocument(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.writer.rdfxml.rdfwriter.OWLModelWriter.write(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.writer.rdfxml.rdfwriter.OWLModelAllTripleStoresWriter.write(Unknown
Source)
         at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.JenaOWLModel.save(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.export.JenaExportPlugin.exportProject(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena.export.JenaExportPlugin.handleExportRequest(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.exportProjectRequest(Unknown
Source)
         at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.action.ExportPluginAction.actionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
         at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
         at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
         at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
         at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
         at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown
Source)
         at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown
Source)
         at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)

... saving successful.
WARNING: No ProjectView registered for project obi-webservices-export --
Protege UI.getProjectView()"

I attached the exported owl file (webServiceWithNewChanges-export.owl)
and the original file stored in the Protege server
(webServiceWithNewChanges.owl).

Thanks for your help.

Jie