[protege-discussion] Problem with rendering by label in Protege 4.1

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri May 6 07:12:17 PDT 2011

On 05/06/2011 03:18 AM, Anna Zhukova wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Protege 4.1rc1 and render my ontology classes by rdfs:label.
> It works fine until I set the label language. If the label language is
> specified, then the class ID instead of it's label is represented in
> the class hierarchy tree...

This happens because the language settings configured for Protege don't
match the language settings of the ontology.  The language settings for
Protege can be set by

   1. clicking View->Custom Rendering
   2. ensuring that "Render by Annotation Property" is set
   3. clicking "Configure"

At the bottom of the resulting panel (which should look like the
attached diagram) you should see some languages specified.  In my case
the langauges are specified to be English, US English, Portuguese and
"no language specified" (the !).  Adding the ! at the end is important
and might be your problem.  I don't know Portuguese but it is there for
testing the pizza ontology.

With these settings, if an ontology has an entity with a label which
specifies the English language then it will render with that label.  If
the entity has a label that is a French label then it will not be
shown.  The "!" ensures that entities with labels that are strings or
plain literals without a specified language will be displayed by label.

-Timothy