[protege-discussion] Reasoning- DL query - Reg

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri May 20 12:29:13 PDT 2011

There are a couple of answers to this question.   The most commonly
considered option is SPARQL.   The advantage of SPARQL is that it can be
relatively fast because the queries that it is doing are quite simple.
The disadvantage of SPARQL is that it is very low level (queries become
complex to impossible very quickly) and it is an RDF tool so very little
inference is included.  Protege 3 includes a basic SPARQL query tab.
Plans are in place to create such a tab for Protege 4 as well.

Another option - if you use Protege 3 - is SQWRL.  One advantage of this
tool over SPARQL is that this tool understands the OWL syntax.  So
queries that are impossible or nearly impossible in SPARQL can be done
easily in SQWRL.

Finally there is SPARQL-DL.  The big advantage of this language and the
associated tools is that SPARQL-DL tools can do some inference.  So in
SPARQL you have to state your queries exactly right.   If someone states
essentially the same fact in some other way then SPARQL tools cannot see
the inference.  For example,  in the attached ontology, it is known that
Ram is a father of Raj but a sparql query for children of a man would
not turn anything up.  The SPARQL-DL tool finds this inference easily.
There is a SPARQL-DL plugin for Protege 4.  The disadvantage of
SPARQL-DL tools is that it requires a reasoner.   I don't know enough
about OWL reasoners that scale up to very large ontologies or reasonable
sized ontologies with large numbers of instances.

-Timothy