[protege-discussion] Protege on the Amazon Cloud and webstart question

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Fri Nov 4 09:26:04 PDT 2011

Hi Dennis,

RMI doesn't really work that way. The server registers itself with its own name that doesn't include any hostname or port information and client connects to it via the RMIRegistry. As far as I know, this is not configurable but worth checking in Protege properties or in run_protege_server.sh [.bat]
What is configurable is the port that the server will receive connections on, as documented on the firewall page.

My initial thoughts are along the lines of the firewall domain name translation configuration of the cloud service. This may need to be tweaked to understand RMI calls or it could be that calls on the default RMI ports are not allowed. I appreciate that you've reviewed the firewall setup page but it's worth confirming whether there are any port restrictions between inside and outside and if so whether RMI's default port is allowed. If the client cannot contact the RMI Registry then it cannot find the Protege server, so if that port has been blocked, then the client will not be able to find the Protege Server via the RMI Registry. Note that if you have changed the default RMI Registry port, you need to inform your Protege client as well in its configuration.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Jonathan Carter
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project
www.enterprise-architecture.org

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd, Registered in England and Wales: 04097721.
Registered Office: 76 High Street, Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16 8AQ.