[protege-discussion] OWL APIs, Triple Stores, OWL DL Rasoners

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 07:44:13 PST 2011

Hello Everyone,

We are looking for a solution that would allow us to transfer our OWL2
knowledge base to a full fledged application.
What we are looking for are:

* An OWL API capable of creating OWL 2 models: The Protege API is
great however comes with much to much overhead,
i.e., the editor related implemanation. Is the Jena api capable of
creating OWL 2 ontology models? Are there any new,
and active ontology APIs currently out there?

* A triple store capable of storing OWL 2 expressions, and performing
deduction using the widely used reasoners. It is
important for us to support OWL or OWL 2 reasoning on the triple store
level. Much like Sesame does with OWLIM.
The triple store must also be able to inteface with the Pellet reasoner.

* Interface between the reasoners and the triple stores. I would
assume at this early stage that deduction on the triple
store level using a pellet would be done through an interface of some
sort (e.g., Triple Store -> Jena -> Pellet). If I am
not mistaken, what are some of the soultions used out there for this.

I have looked into projects such as PelletDB and Allegrograph which
look great however, we are looking for actively
developed open source solutions

Thanks in Advnace,

Ninus.