[protege-discussion] OWL APIs, Triple Stores, OWL DL Rasoners

Matthew Horridge matthew.horridge at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 9 16:57:20 PST 2011

Hi,

> We are looking for a solution that would allow us to transfer our OWL2
> knowledge base to a full fledged application.
> What we are looking for are:
>
> * An OWL API capable of creating OWL 2 models: The Protege API is
> great however comes with much to much overhead,
> i.e., the editor related implemanation. Is the Jena api capable of
> creating OWL 2 ontology models? Are there any new,
> and active ontology APIs currently out there?

There's the OWL API  (http://owlapi.sourceforge.net)

Pellet's native Ortiz API (http://weblog.clarkparsia.com/2010/12/17/ortiz-pellet/)

Any RDF API can work at the level triples that are used to encode OWL 2 objects.  However, this might be too low level for you.

Take a look at Clark and Parsia's StarDog software (http://stardog.com/).  It looks very comprehensive and Pellet is a key component.

> * Interface between the reasoners and the triple stores. I would
> assume at this early stage that deduction on the triple
> store level using a pellet would be done through an interface of some
> sort (e.g., Triple Store -> Jena -> Pellet). If I am
> not mistaken, what are some of the soultions used out there for this.

See above.

Cheers,

Matthew