[protege-discussion] Save modified protege server project to physical copy without reinitializing server

Philip Yeo yphilip at cs.dal.ca
Thu Nov 10 06:16:43 PST 2011

 Hi Csongor,

 Thanks. I've actually managed to figure it out on my one. It is exactly
 what you
 said plus a host of other stuff that I can do all under the package
 edu.stanford.smi.protege.server.metaproject.*

 However I am not sure if you have an idea on how to save a modified
 current
 project on protege server to its physical copy of the owl file.

 Right now, when anyone changes their protege server project's content
 e.g. add
 an instance, and then opens up the physical copy of the owl file (w/o
 connecting
 to the server), it does not show the modification - unless of course
 the Protege
 server has been re-initialized.

 I'm not sure if that I can defy that programmatically. I've attempted a
 bit by
 looking at the Protege 3.4.7 source code (protege-src-3.4.7). I saw
 something
 which I thought may make it possible (saving the changes to the
 physical copy
 w/o server restarting), but I faced some errors.

 The attempt was to connect to that Project itself. So using,
 edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.Project;
 edu.stanford.smi.protege.server.RemoteServer;
 and
 edu.stanford.smi.protege.server.RemoteSession;

 RemoteServer rserver = (RemoteServer) Naming.lookup("//" + serverName +
 "/" +
 Server.getBoundName());
 RemoteSession rm = server.openSession("Testuser", "TEST-PC",
 "testuserpw");
 remotepm = new RemoteProjectManager();
 Project proj = remotepm.connectToProject(server, rm, "TestOntology");
 KnowledgeBase kb = proj.getKnowledgeBase();
 kb.getProject().save(null);

 The error I faced is at connecting to the project. Apparently it calls
 RemoteProjectManager.connectToProject which in that method calls
 server.openProject(name, session); but doesn't return the desired
 RemoteServerProject object.

 Strange thing is, if I were to write the code,
 RemoteServerProject serverProject = server.openProject("TestOntology",
 session);
 in my test code, this works.

 I'm not sure if what I'm attempting is even possible in the first
 place. I
 thought I just get your thoughts on whether this is something futile or
 perhaps
 there's something I've missed. I've read an ol' forum archived which
 Tania
 responded to saying that this feature isn't available (downloading the
 owl file
 from webprotege) which is why I am attempting to do so.

 Sorry for the long email. and thanks in advance for your patience,
 Philip