[protege-discussion] Save modified protege server project to physical copy without reinitializing server

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 10 15:16:27 PST 2011

Philip,

*Once you start a Protege project in client-server mode, you should
always connect to it with a client, and you should never open the
underlying owl file (or database) with standalone Protege.* All the
clients would see instantaneously (i.e. within a few seconds) what other
clients do.

The Protege server saves the OWL file backed projects automatically in
regular time intervals (I think by default every 2 minutes or so), and
it also saves the content of the project when you shut down the project
from the Protege Server Admin interface. In case of WebProtege, you can
set the length of the time interval, when you wish the automatic saving
to occure as described at [1] (look for the "server.save.interval.sec"
property).
However, if you have important content in your ontology, you should set
up your Protege project to use a database back-end rather than an OWL
file back-end. This way every single action that is made by a client is
saved instantaneously in the DB and it can't be lost in case of an
unexpected crash of the Protege server (for example, due to a power outage).

Csongor

[1]
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtegeAdminGuide#WebProtege_configuration