[protege-discussion] OWL APIs, Triple Stores, OWL DL Rasoners

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 11 08:28:53 PST 2011

On 11/09/2011 05:17 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:
> Hello Matthew,
>
> Thank you so much for your response. This is all amazing information!
> Could you recomment a low level RDF API. Reason being, they tend
> to be more efficent/faster. The benefits could far outweigh the drawbacks,
> as long as there is already a nice implementation of the owl2 object wrappers?

Try the Sesame api (www.openrdf.org).  Seems very nice.  I don't know if
it works with pellet though.  Jena may also have some advantages.

> Reason being, they tend
> to be more efficent/faster.

Are you sure about this?  There are often claims of scalability, which
have some truth, but need to be carefully understood.  You need to make
sure that you are making a comparison of like things and that you are
getting the performance in the area that you need.  For example, I
suspect that there are no rdf based tools that could do a classification
of snomed in a few seconds.  (You did mention inference.)  You could
probably find other examples where triple stores work best.

-Timothy