[protege-discussion] OWL APIs, Triple Stores, OWL DL Rasoners

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 09:17:50 PST 2011

Hello Timothy,

Thank you so much for your response. When you refer to the sesame api,
you are referring
to the triple store correct? Do you know if they provide an api for
ontology model creation
such as The OWLAPI or Ortiz?

> For example, I suspect that there are no rdf based tools that could do a classification of
> snomed in a few seconds.

Before doing any type of classification our focus would first be:

Find an API that can creates OWL/2 models, such as Ortiz, Jena, The OWL API.
We would also consider low level rdf api if there are performance
benefits, but of course we would
need to create the wrappers to support owl 2 expressions. As mentioned
by Matthew earlier.
My first question would be, what low level rdf api with existing owl
wrappers are currently being used
to create OwlModels (Jena?).

Once we have the ontology models created, then we would consider
triple stores, this is rather simple,
it could be Virtuso, Sesame etc.. The issue arise when trying to apply
reasoning services on the stored
triples. Namely, can the triple store interface directly with the
owl/2 reasoners, or inderctly using Jena etc..
The triple store should also be able to manage multiple owl models
within a given context enabling things
such as owl:import and prefix resolution.....

Thanks in Advance,

Nick.