[protege-discussion] Protege as core to a software development environment

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Nov 17 03:26:42 PST 2011

Hi,

I haven't got any presentations or other documents, but I've been using Protege as the infrastructure for some software that builds and manages an ontology that represents a model for enterprise architecture of any organisation. I would certainly agree with the assertions that using it 'instead of' a database has indeed delivered fantastic flexibility and adaptability - providing exactly what we were looking for. The underlying meta model of Protege has been - to quote the abstract - "enabling representation of views on ontology's and their corresponding metadata in the same framework." For us, this means that we can model and manage a complex model of interdependencies between all elements of our domain but separately provide meaningful and easy-to-use views of this model to a wide variety of stakeholders - not just enterprise architects!

I realise this isn't exactly what you were after but as our experience seemed to roughly match the assertions of the abstract, I would provide that feedback. Hope it helps and maybe there's a paper in here somewhere...

Regards

Jonathan

Jonathan Carter
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project
www.enterprise-architecture.org

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd, Registered in England and Wales: 04097721.
Registered Office: 76 High Street, Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16 8AQ.