[protege-discussion] Protege as core to a software development environment

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 17 17:41:55 PST 2011

Hi Ron, and all,

I would suggest you to look at the papers that came out from the NCBO
BioPortal project:
http://bmir.stanford.edu/publications/project.php/ncbo

As well as other (more recent) paper's from the authors:
http://bmir.stanford.edu/publications/by_author.php/csongor_i_nyulas
http://bmir.stanford.edu/publications/by_author.php/natasha_f_noy
http://bmir.stanford.edu/publications/by_author.php/michael_v_dorf

Here are just a couple of the papers that could be of more interest:
http://bmir.stanford.edu/publications/view.php/semantic_infrastructure_to_enable_collaboration_in_ontology_development
http://bmir.stanford.edu/publications/view.php/bioportal_enhanced_functionality_via_new_web_services_from_the_national_center_for_biomedical_ontology_to_access_and_use_ontologies_in_software_applications

The statement in the abstract that you have cited has definitely kept
its validity. After more than 2 years, the metadata infrastructure of
the BioPortal is still maintained as an ontology, which described in the
paper (and which, in the meantime, has evolved of course), and this had
provided us with great flexibility and opportunities in extending the
functionality and the services provided by the platform. We are using
ontologies also to define the structure of the *notes and mappings in
BioPortal*, which offered us the same great flexibility and
opportunities to evolve.

I hope this helps,
Csongor