[protege-discussion] Very slow project load in Protege client from Protege server

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Wed Nov 23 08:58:55 PST 2011

Hi Adam,

Timothy sent me an updated version of Protege to try and this does indeed resolve the issue that we see with the project load time.
I think it's probably best to wait for this update to be included in a release of Protege and to ensure that Timothy and his team are completely happy with the resolution.

In terms of the downgrade to version 3.4.4 for now, although this is obviously not the current release of Protege, in the context of supporting the Essential Project platform, version 3.4.4 is certainly capable.

It's technically possible to remove all form customisations but this will have an impact on the Essential Architecture Manager repository that is managed in the Protege project. Aside from the form layouts, tooltips and slot labels, we use two widgets that rely on form customisations to work correctly. We use the GraphWidget to define some Instances where a graphical paradigm makes defining the relationships much more straight-forward and this requires form customisations. Also, some classes use our AutoTextWidget to manage fully-qualified names and again this uses form customisations to control the template for the automatic naming. In a similar way to the GraphWidget, although it is possible to manage the project without this widget, it provides a significant labour-saving device.
The ability to easily layout the forms in a way that makes most sense to your users is a powerful capability of Protege.

I realise that this doesn't really address the issue but I thought it was worth pointing out that in stand-alone mode, version 3.4.7 loads the project with all of its form customisations in a normal/acceptable time frame.

I'm not aware of any other workarounds, apart from rolling back to version 3.4.4 but note that this can be done alongside your existing 3.4.7 installation without affecting any of your Protege projects. This also means that when an updated version that contains the fix is released, we can install and use this without having to perform any migration of the Protege projects. The metaproject that you have defined for your Protege server can be copied and used by the different versions of Protege - although it's probably best to only run one version of Protege server at any one time!

Hope this helps

Regards

Jonathan

Jonathan Carter
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project
www.enterprise-architecture.org

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd, Registered in England and Wales: 04097721.
Registered Office: 76 High Street, Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16 8AQ.