[protege-discussion] Advice regarding future directions for Protégé

Mark Musen musen at Stanford.EDU
Thu Sep 29 11:21:32 PDT 2011

Colleagues,

I am writing to seek your advice regarding future directions for the Protégé Project.  As you know, all the work that we perform on the Protégé suite of tools is supported by external funding, nearly all from federal research grants.  We currently are seeking additional grant support to migrate some of the features that are available in Protégé Version 3 to Protégé Version 4.  We believe that this migration is important, as only Protégé 4 supports the full OWL 2 standard, and we appreciate that many members of our user community are asking to use certain capabilities currently unique to Protégé 3 with OWL 2 ontologies in Protégé 4.

To help the Protégé team in setting priorities, and to help us make the case to our potential funders that enhancement of Protégé 4 is warranted, we'd be grateful if you could please fill out the brief survey at the following URL:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ProtegeDirections

It will not take more than a few minutes for you to give us feedback that will be influential in setting our future goals.  If we can document strong community support for implementing certain Protégé 3 features in Protégé 4, then we will be in a much stronger position to make the case to our funders to initiate the required work.

The entire Protégé team is looking forward to your opinions.  Please be sure to forward this message to colleagues who use Protégé who may not subscribe to these mailing lists so that we can obtain as much feedback as possible.

Many thanks for your help and support.

Mark Musen
Principal Investigator, The Protégé Project