[protege-discussion] how can i access ontology from the JADE

Fabio Aiub Sperotto fabio.aiub at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 05:24:27 PDT 2012

Oh, I'm understanding now.

First: I don't have experience with JADE development. So I'll probably be
useless to your second question. But in your question 1 you can try this:

When you created your ontology in Protégé, you created a archive with the
ontology structure, right? In this link (
http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/jena-integration.html) you can see
the relation between Protégé and Jena. Jena library provides a framework in
Java and you can use to instance in memory of your Ontology, made with
Protégé.

So, you will have the Ontology in memory and your agents can access the
knowledge, rules, class, atributes, values or something exist in your
Ontology. You can continue editing the ontology in Protégé and
re-instantiating the ontology in memory again for your agents (I think so).

To illustrate this with some codes:

- Jena: http://jena.apache.org/

- And my blog (in portuguese), some code to start programming (read de
ontology file and create a model in memory:
http://bazardoconhecimento.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/ontologia_para_desenvolvedores/

- Creating ontology models in Jena:
http://jena.apache.org/documentation/ontology/index.html#creating-ontology-models

- Introduction to Jena (RDF):
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/j-jena/

And in Jena you can use SPARQL too, to perform queries in ontology.

In the Jena mailing list and in google, we can find another libraries which
can integrate JADE + Jena like this (http://agentowl.sourceforge.net/) but
i haven't experience with this.

2012/8/2 chumba86 <manoj48x at yahoo.com>

> Hi Fabio Aiub Sperotto,
>
> first of all thank you very much for your reply. i checked your two links.
> its really good. thank you for it.
>
> for your first question: NO, this  project doesnt use the mySQl database.
> first i created the MySQL database and convert it to the protege - frame
> ontology using datamaster. when i convert MySQL database to protege frame
> ontology i converted with the MySQL DB data(those are reprsent as instance
> in protege ontology).
>
> this project now only JADE <-> Protege Ontology... i used MySQL database
> for
> create protege ontology.
>
> MY Problem is : now i have protege - frame Ontology and JADE system.
>
> my first question is ,
>  1. how can i access my protege ontology using a my JADE system.
> Note : in your JADE and Ontology link(2nd link) shows jade system use its
> own ontology. in here i need to use extrenal ontology.its my protege
> ontology.
> how to connect those two? any JAVA codes or useful links ??
>
> My Second question is ,
>
> after i connect my protege ontology and JADE system how can i used instance
> to process my operations in JADE system. how to manipulate those instances
> in protege ontology within JADE system.
> any JAVA code or any example of it very useful for this ....
>
> those are my questions. i stuck on this position and still couldn't be able
> move froward from this point. so i highly appreciate your support regarding
> this matter.
>

> --

Fabio Aiub Sperotto
Mestrando em Modelagem Computacional