[protege-discussion] how can i access ontology from the JADE

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 14 17:10:49 PDT 2012

Hello again,

1. Some of the links I sent you before explain the relationship between
the agent communication language (ACL) and the JADE ontology that
specifies the semantic for the ACL terms. The OntologyBeanGenerator
plug-in generates the JADE ontology from a given Protege Frames or OWL
"domain" ontology. Depending on whether your domain ontology is in
Frames or OWL, you will need to include/import the
SimpleJADEAbstractOntology.pprj or the
OWLSimpleJADEAbstractOntology.pprj. You will need to make sure that the
terms in your domain ontology that you will want in to be included in
the generated JADE ontology would be subclasses of the appropriate
classes defined in (OWL)SimpleJADEAbstractOntology.pprj. There is good
documentation and examples for how to do this on the JADE website and in
the examples that come with the plug-in.

Everything that I explained above refers to the correct configuration of
the communication between JADE agents in general, regardless of what
tasks these agents are expected to actually execute, or what type of
data they are handling.

2. If I understood correctly, you are trying to make some of your agents
read the content of some (domain) ontology, and act in accordance to the
knowledge contained in that ontology. This is a separate problem from
the one I addressed above, and has nothing to do with the
OntologyBeanGenerator. Since JADE agents are in fact Java programs, they
can manipulate ontologies just like any other Java program. Please see
the documentation on our Protege wiki to learn how to handle Protege
ontologies programmatically [1].

In case you want to send around messages between the agents, which would
contain information that related to the domain ontology in some way
(such as ontology access information, like ontology file name, or some
data encoded in the ontology), you will need to make sure that your JADE
Ontology (the one that I talked about above, which imports the
(OWL)SimpleJADEOntology) defines the concepts that are going to be
contained in the agent messages.

I hope that everything is clear now :)
Csongor

[1] http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html#api