[protege-discussion] Protege 3.4.8 memory/heap size?

Semir Sarajlic ssarajlic1 at student.gsu.edu
Mon Aug 20 10:13:33 PDT 2012

How do I increase the memory available for JVM in Protege 3.4.8.  I have installed the latest JVm (1.7.0_05-b06), which is 64 bit, and in the Java control panel, indicated max memory of 5 GB (I have 8gb of RAM installed).  Also, in Protege, I have changed the max heap size in the lax file to 3.9 gb (If I specify 4GB or more, then Protege does not start up).  However, everytime protege is starting up, it indicates that it has 1849 MB available for JVM (not 3900MB as I indicated in the lax file), and I get out of memory error when I exceed that limit.

Is there another setting that I am not aware of that could be changed so that I could utilize more than 1849 MB of memory?

Thanks for the assistance,

Semir