[protege-discussion] Protege 3.4.8 memory/heap size?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 21 10:22:37 PDT 2012

If you are working on a windows machine you may be hitting up against an
install-anywhere bug.  They haven't yet moved to 64 bits so when running
Protege through install-anywhere you are constrained by the 32-bit
constraint.  I don't remember the number but that constraint might be 2G
(the extra addressing bit at the top is lost for some reason?).

If this is the problem then the solution is to use the run.bat file.  If
you edit this file you can change the heap size by adding a "-Xmx5G"
parameter like so:

     java -server -Xmx5G -Dlog4j.configuration=file:log4j.xml -DentityExpansionLimit=100000000 -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -Dorg.protege.plugin.dir=plugins -classpath bin/felix.jar;bin/ProtegeLauncher.jar org.protege.osgi.framework.Launcher

-Timothy