[protege-discussion] Performance degraded with MS SQLServer backend for Protege 3.4.8

Ron Schultz rcaschultz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 12:11:35 PDT 2012

Are there any benchmarks for expected performance of the database backend?
Can I expect to manage thousands, or hundreds of thousands, or millions of
records with the backend? Are there any user experiences reported for using
Protege backend for ontologies with hundred of thousands instances?

Thanks

Ron

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Jonathan Carter <
jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com> wrote:

> Some of my user community and I have noticed that the performance of
> Protege 3 (Frames) has changed significantly for the worse between version
> 3.4.4 and version 3.4.8 when using a MS SQLServer database backend.
>
> Protege 3.4.4 performs well with large numbers of instances backed by
> SQLServer whereas 3.4.8 seems noticeably slow.
> Performance is much the same for both versions (or possibly better in
> Protege 3.4.8) for file-based projects and MySQL database backends.
>
> Is there anything that's changed in the database handling between these
> versions that might explain this (and might also be in 3.5B)?
> Has anyone else had a problem with performance and database backends with
> 3.4.8?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jonathan
> _______________________________________
>
> Jonathan Carter
> Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd
> Mobile: +44 (0) 7904 198295
> Email: jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com<http://www.enterprise-architecture.com/>
>
> Proud sponsors of The Essential Project
> The free open-source Enterprise Architecture Management Platform
> www.enterprise-architecture.org
>
> Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd, Registered in England and Wales:
> 04097721.
> Registered Office: 76 High Street, Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16
> 8AQ.

Ron