[protege-discussion] Performance degraded with MS SQLServer backend for Protege 3.4.8

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 24 14:26:51 PDT 2012

On 8/22/12 10:18 AM, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Some of my user community and I have noticed that the performance of
> Protege 3 (Frames) has changed significantly for the worse between
> version 3.4.4 and version 3.4.8 when using a MS SQLServer database
> backend.
>
> Protege 3.4.4 performs well with large numbers of instances backed by
> SQLServer whereas 3.4.8 seems noticeably slow.
> Performance is much the same for both versions (or possibly better in
> Protege 3.4.8) for file-based projects and MySQL database backends.

I looked at the logs

          svn log -v -r 17706:24091  https://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege-core/trunk/src/edu/stanford/smi/protege/storage/database

and in of database performance it is not clear that anything significant
has changed.  In terms of the diff to protege-core in general,

          svn log -v -r 17706:24091  https://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege-core/trunk

more has been done and it is less than clear what could have changed.  I
did notice that there were some fixes to cache bugs and it is
conceivable that some of these might have a negative impact on performance.

-Timothy