[protege-discussion] why does Protege require admin privileges?

Stian Soiland-Reyes soiland-reyes at cs.manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 04:25:25 PST 2012

Why does an install of Protege 4.1 on Windows/x64 always ask me for:

"Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher
to make changes to this computer?"

I don't really want to, no.

I've tried changing the permission of the C:\Program Files\Protege_4.1
folder so that my user has write access - in case this is needed for
writing to plugins/ or similar.

I installed from
http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.1/installanywhere/Web_Installers/
the "without Java VM" for Windows x64.

However you should not really offer this "without VM" option here
until you've fixed the distribution to work with Java 7 - I had to
also update the felix.jar as proposed on
https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/p4-feedback/2011-August/004041.html

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science