[protege-discussion] why does Protege require admin privileges?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 23 09:42:29 PST 2012

There is a gforge for this problem (http://goo.gl/4yLK9 - it is the
second issue reported).  I have actually been working on a windows
machine where the escalation to full privileges is unacceptable.  I have
installed Protege on my desktop and have found that it runs fine when I
double click on the run.bat file.

When you are not getting a plugin update, I am not really sure why
Protege is getting elevated privileges.  In theory, outside of updating
plugins, it should not need any privilege and this is borne out by the
fact that the run.bat works.

-Timothy