[protege-discussion] Help creating a server project stored in a database

Barrett, Michael mike.barrett at med.nyu.edu
Thu Feb 23 15:41:54 PST 2012

Here's what I did (as near as I can remember):

1)  edited run_protege_server.sh
    A) added
RMI_REG_PORT=1099
RMI_SERV_PORT=5200

    B) replaced
HOSTNAME_PARAM=-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=`hostname`
    with
HOSTNAME_PARAM=-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=dgdlcdcpvm001.nyumc.org

   C) replaced
#PORTOPTS="-Dprotege.rmi.server.port=5200 -Dprotege.rmi.registry.port=5100"
    with
PORTOPTS="-Dprotege.rmi.server.port=$RMI_SERV_PORT -Dprotege.rmi.registry.port=$RMI_REG_PORT"

    D) replaced
$JAVA_PATH/rmiregistry &
    with
$JAVA_PATH/rmiregistry $RMI_REG_PORT &

2) I installed the mysql driver in the protege directory as driver.jar

3) I started up the server with ./run_protege_server.sh

4) I started up the client with ./run_protege.sh

5) I created a database "PROTEGE" on my mysql server.

6) I created a subdirectory on the server "projects"

7) I created a new project via the protege client using the "Protege Database" Project Type

8) I saved the project "Dogs" to the server's "projects" subdirectory.

9) I edited the server's server metaproject in server's "example" subdirectory

10) I added a new instance of the project class with the location of the project file in the "projects" subdirectory

11) I saved the metaproject

12) I attempted to "Open Other/Server" to connect to the Dogs project on the server.

The "Dogs" project was not listed.

13) I stopped and started the protege server using the shutdown_protege_server.sh and the run_protege_server.sh scripts.

14) I attempted to "Open Other/Server" to connect to the "Dogs" project on the server.

This time the "Dogs" project was an option, but I was not able to create new classes in the project.

15) I opened the "Dogs" project using the file method  and created new classes

16) I opened the "Dogs" project using the "Open Other/Server" method.  The new clases I had created in step 15 were there, but I could not edit them or create new classes.

Amongst the java output when I attempt to create a new class is the statemet:
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Binary logging not possible. Message: Transaction level 'READ-COMMITTED' in InnoDB is not safe for binlog mode 'STATEMENT'

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

-          Mike