[protege-discussion] why does Protege require admin privileges?

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 28 16:14:53 PST 2012

This is Microsoft's ugly way of discouraging the use of Java
applications. It is simply stupid that Windows 7 (and Vista) would give
you the security warning every single time you try to open a Java
application that comes from an unsigned party :( Here is what Oracle has
to say about dealing with User Account Control:
http://java.com/en/download/faq/uac.xml
Not much, you can do. :( Of course, switching UAC totally off can be
potentially dangerous to your system, so you would probably not want to
do that. Unfortunately, AFAIK there is no way in Windows to "white list"
applications for which enable UAC without extra confirmation.

Csongor

[1] http://java.com/en/download/faq/uac.xml