[protege-discussion] ERD or DDL for Protege 4 database backend

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 4 08:16:45 PST 2012

In many cases, looking at the database representation of an ontology is
not a very good approach.  The database representation is an internal
part of a particular ontology api implementation.  In the case of the
owldb project, I suspect that this is the case.  The best way to access
the owldb databases is through hibernate.  But you would have to ask
that group to find out more.

In the case of the Protege 4 database backend (http://goo.gl/9k6ho) I
have decided for several reasons that I should document the database
structure and encourage certain uses of the database.  Unfortunately I
have not started the documentation so there isn't any information.  You
could glean the basic structures from the sql templates
(http://goo.gl/HlBmU) that are used to create the tables.  In a given
database, two tables are created by the ontologies-table.create file to
represent the ontologies that have been inserted in the database.  For
each ontology that is created, the "create" file describes how the
tables to represent that ontology have been set up.  There is some
additional information here (http://goo.gl/ra7Rk) but unfortunately it
is largely described from a java developer perspective.

-Timothy