[protege-discussion] Client-Server (Protegè WebProtege)

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 23 14:49:16 PST 2012

Hi Roberta,

It is hard to enumerate all the functionalities that WebProtege with a
Protege Client-Server back-end offers to you. Here are some highlights:
- Collaboration: The Protege Client-Server architecture allows you to
collaboratively edit an ontology, (make sure you activate the support
for collaboration in the Collaboration menu). In the setup you
described, Webprotege can be seen as "just another Protege client",
meaning that any change that is done in WebProtege can be (almost)
instantaneously seen in other WebProtege clients AND other Protege
desktop clients that are connected to the same server.
- Lightweight ontology editing directly from your internet browser.
WebProtege users don't need to install anything on their computer.
- Easily customizable user interface using XML file (available also on
per project and per project&user basis)
- Enables engagement of domain experts in the knowledge aquisition
process through simple user-friendly forms.
- Allows easy references to terms in other ontologies in BioPortal.
- Change tracking - a feature of Protege Client-Server. You need to
associate a separate annotation ontology (a ChAO ontology that collects
the changes and annotations) to your domain ontology (the content of
which you try to edit). You can do this through the Collaboration menu
as well. You also need to set this up properly in the Protege server
meta-project.
- Commenting feature. In case some users don't want (or are not allowed)
to make changes, they can still comment on the content of the ontology,
and can carry out threaded discussions.
- Enforces different user access rights (as specified in meta-project
and WebProtege configuration file)

The WebProtege wiki page explains these and more here (make sure that
you follow also the outgoing links!!!):
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtege

Csongor