[protege-discussion] Importing Time Ontology

Jim Tivy jimt at bluestream.com
Fri Jun 22 17:09:04 PDT 2012

Hi Brian

The comments about making a superclass below are a hack if you ask me.

I had a similar problem with OWL2.  Few people seemed to get my question -
which made me think I was missing something.
However, what I figured out was:

- A class is not an individual.
- Therefore you have to use classes in a simple way with simple annotations
(annotations can be attached to classes but not properties and annotations
are weak (eg: cannot be modelled much unlike properties))
- You should model your own hierarchy using individuals even if it is class
like.

There was also some idea of using the same IRI as a class as an individual
and making your assertions there - but this did not seem to be well
understood or supported.
So I did my own tree of individuals with isChildOf properties.

My fundamental question is - If Dogs is a class and Jim is an individual how
do you say in OWL "Jim likes Dogs"??????

To me, until proven otherwise all this is a shortcoming of OWL, but OWL is
still useful for data modelling.  Perhaps OWL3 will solve this.  Perhaps the
answer is to make classes an individual - that is what modern programming
languages do.  In java there is a class Object and a class class.  I am not
sure how this all bears out with Descriptive Logic...

Jim

URL