[protege-discussion] Jim Likes Dogs

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Jun 24 21:00:22 PDT 2012

On 06/24/2012 12:36 PM, Jim Tivy wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Can any OWL2 knowledgeable people on this list tell me how to express:
>
> If I have a class Dogs and an Individual Jim how do I assert a property
> assertion: - Jim likes Dogs.

The assertion still appears ambiguous to me but I can express two
variants.  The first one is that Jim likes all dogs.  This can be done
as follows:

Class: Dog

     SubClassOf:
          inverse (like) value jim

Now the use of the inverse property may make this a bit harder to read.
An alternative is to break this into two axioms and give the inverse of
like a name:

ObjectProperty: likedBy
     InverseOf:
         like

Class: Dog

     SubClassOf:
         likedBy value jim

Another possibility is that Jim likes some dogs.  This can be said by
giving the jim individual a type:

Individual: jim
     Types:
         like some Dog