[protege-discussion] When to introduce new object properties?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 29 10:16:09 PDT 2012

On 06/29/2012 09:49 AM, Gabriela Medina wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question concerning the introduction of a new property.
> Actually I would like to know if it's a "best practice" to use an
> object property to include one class (or as few as possible) in the
> domain and in the range. Is there any guidelines to know when it's
> appropiated to reuse the existent object properties or when to create
> new ones?

My first reaction to this question is that it is one of those things
that is hard to give a clean answer.  I think that if you use a common
object property the you are saying in some sense that it is doing the
same thing for all the different types of individuals that it provides
values for.  So for example with the pizza ontology, does it make sense
to have the same hasTopping property for pizzas and for cupcakes or are
these notions of toppings really quite distinct.

A simpler cleaner point is that domain statements for a property that
takes values for several different classes becomes unwieldy. Thus

ObjectProperty: hasTopping

     Domain:

             Annotations: rdfs:comment "The disjunctions here can get out of hand."
         Cupcake
          or Pizza

starts to be difficult to maintain.

Maybe some serious modelers would have something to say here.

-Timothy