[protege-discussion] When to introduce new object properties?

Fabio Aiub Sperotto fabio.aiub at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 20:35:43 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am newbie in some of these issues ontological modeling. I've Needed
modeling ontology with an object property to several classes. To split this
property into new properties between classes, I would come to create
synonymous properties of objects. What would be the same in that model,
because the informational value of individuals, related to object property,
owned the same semantics. Anyway, I also question about good practice in
these situations.

2012/6/29 Timothy Redmond <tredmond at stanford.edu>

>  On 06/29/2012 09:49 AM, Gabriela Medina wrote:
>

>  Hello,
>
>  I have a question concerning the introduction of a new property.
> Actually I would like to know if it’s a “best practice” to use an object
> property to include one class (or as few as possible) in the domain and in
> the range. Is there any guidelines to know when it's appropiated to reuse
> the existent object properties or when to create new ones?
>

> My first reaction to this question is that it is one of those things that
> is hard to give a clean answer.  I think that if you use a common object
> property the you are saying in some sense that it is doing the same thing
> for all the different types of individuals that it provides values for.  So
> for example with the pizza ontology, does it make sense to have the same
> hasTopping property for pizzas and for cupcakes or are these notions of
> toppings really quite distinct.
>
> A simpler cleaner point is that domain statements for a property that
> takes values for several different classes becomes unwieldy.  Thus
>
> ObjectProperty: hasTopping
>
>     Domain:
>
>             Annotations: rdfs:comment "The disjunctions here can get out of hand."
>         Cupcake
>          or Pizza
>

> starts to be difficult to maintain.
>
> Maybe some serious modelers would have something to say here.
>
> -Timothy
>

>  Thanks in advanced,
>
>  Gabriela

Fabio Aiub Sperotto