[protege-discussion] OWL2 Classes

Jim Tivy jimt at bluestream.com
Fri Mar 16 18:07:40 PDT 2012

Hi Timothy

Thanks for laying out the OWL2 formalisms.  I think OWL2 is a great data
modelling system.

I only need to manipulate the data structure in a few ways and I am happy to
write those by hand.  I would like to discuss data modelling first, then
discuss reasoning (or rather agree not to discuss reasoning as right now
reasoning does not seem interesting).

What I want to do is represent a Thesaurus which is a common well defined
structure that is described many places including here:
http://www.willpowerinfo.co.uk/thesprin.htm

In English (not in OWL2) I think of it this way:

There is a class of objects called Terms, some of which are in a hierarchy
some of which are not.  Each Term needs to have the following properties:

-        Scope Node

-        Broad Term

-        Narrow Term

-        Related Terms

My thought is to model this in OWL2 (excuse my paraphrase of OWL FL) as:

Declare Class Term

Declare Property(ScopeNode)

Declare Property(HasChild)  // to subsume BroadTerm and NarrowTerm are

Declare Property(RelatedTerm)

PropertyDomain(ScopeNode,Term)

.

Individual(myns:Dog)

InClass(myns:Dog,Term)

ObjectPropertyAssertion(myns:HasChild,myns:Boxer,myns:Dog)

And so on.

Is that enough information?

Jim