[protege-discussion] Loading and saving RDFS

Marko Niinimaki manzikki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 07:54:44 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I have a trivial question that I could not spot in the FAQ.. I would
like to read and write "plain" RDFS files, not OWL files.
I have been using various versions of Protege, including 3.4.8 and
4.2. To give a concrete example, if I open the newspaper ontology on
3.4.8 and save it as RDF, I get a file that looks like:
..
<!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
	 <!ENTITY rdf 'http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'>
	 <!ENTITY a 'http://protege.stanford.edu/system#'>
	 <!ENTITY rdf_ 'http://protege.stanford.edu/rdf'>
	 <!ENTITY rdfs 'http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#'>
]>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="&rdf;" xmlns:rdf_="&rdf_;" xmlns:a="&a;"
xmlns:rdfs="&rdfs;">
<rdfs:Class rdf:about="&rdf_;Advertisement"
rdfs:label="Advertisement"> <rdfs:subClassOf
rdf:resource="&rdf_;Content"/>
..
The "synonyms" &rdf_, &a, &rdfs look a bit bizarre to me, but maybe
they are syntactically correct?

Moreover, I cannot import an RDFS ontology by an URL [like
http://myserver/myontology.rdf"] in 3.4.8, Protoge complains that a
pprj file is needed.

With 4.2 I can save in "RDF" format, but it is actually OWL:
  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="&myontology;BelongsTo">
Am I simply missing a plugin?

Yours truly,
Marko