[protege-discussion] slot facet changes not prophagating

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 26 12:08:07 PDT 2012

On 3/26/12 5:55 AM, Tom Cloyd wrote:
> I'm working out my first ontology, and have run into a problem for
> which I can find no answer. I'm running ver. 3.4.8 on Kubuntu Linux
> 11.10.

My recommendation would be to use the OWL language for a first ontology
because

 1. The Protege frames language is specific to Protege and is only
    understood by Protege.  In contrast the OWL language is a w3
    recommendation and has gained traction with many tools.
 2. The Protege frames language has never been given a semantics which
    makes many questions about what the tool should be doing difficult
    to decide.
 3. Protege 3 frames is slowly getting phased out.  There are fewer
    people using it now and these people are largely experts who have
    been using it for some time and have not yet decided to convert to OWL.

> I set up a slot with a cardinality of "required - at least 1", and a
> default value that was a string.
>
> What I wanted was for an editable default value to appear in class
> instances using the slot.
>
> PROBLEM #1: What I got was a NON-editable default value.
I didn't replicate this.  I did the following steps:

 1. I started Protege and created a new Protege Files (.pont and .pins)
    project.
 2. I created a class A as a subclass of :THING in the classes tab
 3. I went to the Slots tab and created a new slot, p, gave it a default
    value of "hello world", gave it a domain of A and made this
    cardinality required and at least 1.
 4. I went to the Instances tab and created a new instance of A.  It had
    a default value of "hello world".
 5. I changed the default value.

Everything worked and the ontology is the attached ontology called
Version1.*
> That isn't acceptable, so I went back to edit the slot, removing the
> "required", and the default value.

I did this.  This does not change the existing instance but when I
create a new instance the old default value does not take effect.

> PROBLEM #2: Returning to my class instance, the changes were not
> reflected, and the problem of the non-editable default value could not
> be fixed (at least by me). My instance was thus not unusable. I
> deleted it.

The existing instances are not changed but I was still able to edit the
p slot value.  The ontology that I got at this point is attached as
Version2.

> PROBLEM #3: It got worse: I created a new instance, only to discover
> that nothing had been changed. I still got a non-editable default
> value. Now it appears that my class has to be reconfigured. What if I
> have 1000 instances, and deleting the slot was not an option?

When I create new instances there is no default value for the p-slot.

> Can anyone tell me what's going on, and how to fix/prevent these
> problems?

The one thing that I can think of is that you are doing some sort of
project inclusion.  There are some rules for what can be changed and
what cannot be changed when you do project inclusion.

-Timothy.