[protege-discussion] slot facet changes not prophagating

Tom Cloyd tomcloydmsma at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:41:44 PDT 2012

On 03/26/2012 01:08 PM, Timothy Redmond wrote:
> On 3/26/12 5:55 AM, Tom Cloyd wrote:
>> I'm working out my first ontology, and have run into a problem for
>> which I can find no answer. I'm running ver. 3.4.8 on Kubuntu Linux
>> 11.10.
>
> My recommendation would be to use the OWL language for a first
> ontology because
>
>  1. The Protege frames language is specific to Protege and is only
>     understood by Protege.  In contrast the OWL language is a w3
>     recommendation and has gained traction with many tools.
>  2. The Protege frames language has never been given a semantics which
>     makes many questions about what the tool should be doing difficult
>     to decide.
>  3. Protege 3 frames is slowly getting phased out.  There are fewer
>     people using it now and these people are largely experts who have
>     been using it for some time and have not yet decided to convert to
>     OWL.

Thank you for this. I've been over the decision of which to use about 3
times, and frankly was unable to decide with any real confidence.
"Frames" seems readily (if superficially) understandable, and that was
attractive. In addition, it seemed reasonable that it might be a decent
foundation for a later switch to OWL. That was my thinking, anyway, so I
was getting started with Frames.

Finally, that multiple users could modify the same ontology via a
client-server setup was appealing (although I do not need this at the
moment, and have no immediate-future scenarios likely to require it).

So, I'm today switching to OWL. I have no real data in my Frames
ontology - still setting things up, so the switch is easiest now.

Thank for the recommendation, as well as for the trouble you took to try
to replicate the problem. Sorry it didn't replicate. Something's clearly
amiss somewhere, but now it doesn't matter - at least in my case. And
for the record, I was starting from scratch; I was not doing a project
inclusion.

Thanks again - for the thorough, helpful, and speedy response. I'm
excited to have the chance to work with this tool.

Tom
Tom Cloyd / tc at tomcloyd.com / (435) 272-3332