[protege-discussion] Loading and saving RDFS

Marko Niinimaki manzikki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 02:08:52 PDT 2012

Dear Timothy,

thank you for your reply.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Timothy Redmond <tredmond at stanford.edu> wrote:

> The short answer is probably not.
>
> I am guessing that what you are trying to do is to remove the owl vocabulary
> from an RDF/XML serialization of the OWL file.   If so there is no tool but
> it wouldn't be hard for a developer (1/2 hour of work) to create such a
> tool.
>
> As an aside, I am not sure what advantage you will get out of this change.
>  Before the change, an RDF/XML serialization is readable by both RDF and OWL
> tools.  After the change the file is only readable by RDF tools.

The motivation is simply that we have allocated 3 sessions to explain
our students what RDF is and how to use it. In the first session we
present RDF, in the second an editing tool, and in the 3rd one the
students will create and populate an ontology. OWL would need another
session, it is hard to explain its added value for students who just
learned RDF, and it will generally just confuse the students.

However, if there are no plans to support plain RDF(S) in the future
releases of Protege, I suppose I'll need to check if there are some
other ontology design tools available. Would you have some
recommendations?

Yours,
Marko