[protege-discussion] IRI uniqueification ideas

Jim Tivy jimt at bluestream.com
Thu Nov 8 17:26:01 PST 2012

Hello

This is not a direct Protege question but involves IRIs. I have alot of
individual documents that I wish to track as Individuals in OWL.  At first I
thought I could generate unique IRIs with meaningful names embedded in the
IRI.  Now I am thinking I want to generate unique numbers programmatically
to accomplish the need for unique IRIs and to retain the ability to change
the name of the Individual without deleting and adding it again.  There is
GUI to add these individuals so I can generate a next integer Id in the GUI
code.

I was curious, however, what people on this group consider best practice for
this problem of uniqifying IRIs and avoiding the embedding of possibly
changing semantic information in those IRIs.

All the examples seem to show IRIs with cute names, like .../John and
../Mary.  My individuals will also have Name and Description properties, so
I will recognize them in the GUI by their name and description properties.

cheers

Jim