[protege-discussion] File OWL

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 14 07:40:41 PST 2012

On 11/14/2012 07:02 AM, Marine Terezinha da Silva Bello Flores wrote:
> Hi Timthy,
>
> I need to export the code of this file in OWL language.

This is an OWL file.  It opens in Protege 4.2 without any problems. Many
other OWL 2 tools will also understand the file in this format.

The thing that you might need to know is that there are several ways in
which an OWL file can be written out.  In this case, the OWL file was
written out in the OWL/XML format.  This is a very good choice of format
but for historical reasons it is not the most common serialization
format.  Most OWL ontologies are written out in the RDF/XML format.
Some tool sets, particularly those based on OWL 1.0 or OWL full can only
handle the RDF/XML format.  This might be a reason to save an ontology
in RDF/XML.  RDF/XML is also sometimes the format that people expect to
see when they get an OWL file.

If you open the ontology in Protege and then choose save-as, you will
see that, before you browse to the file where you want to save it, that
there is a dialog that allows you to choose the format that you will use
when saving the ontology.

> Before I used to used Protege 4.1 beta. In the tab : Active Ontology I
> was able to choose the code OWL and now in Protege 4.2 theres only
> RDF/XML to select.

I am not sure what you mean by this.  But I suspect that this is
something to do with the configuration of your copy of Protege rather
than an issue with the file.  In particular I think that you might be
talking about the rendering views which give a preview of what your
ontology looks like in various formats.  Thus for instance, if, in the
active tab, say, you can click "Window->Views->Ontology Views->RDF/XML
rendering" and you will be able to drop the RDF/XML rendering view where
you would like it in the display.  If you then don't like this view you
can remove it from the display by clicking the little "x" button at the
right hand corner of the view:

Alternatively you can click "Window->Reset selected tab to default
state" to return the tab to the state it was in before you made any
modifications.

-Timothy.