[protege-discussion] populate my individuals from database : protege-discussion Digest, Vol 76, Issue 26

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 26 06:35:53 PST 2012

On 11/23/2012 04:45 AM, alaa hedib wrote:
> thanks Timothy and Sluka
> its really smart way , i already think in it , but to write it as java
> code.
> please Sluka if you can send to my sample sheet from your work .

Writing some custom code to translate a database or a spreadsheet into
OWL should not be too difficult.  To read the database you can use jdbc
[1] and there are a couple of good options for reading excel
spreadsheets in java (e.g. [2] but I believe apache has an option as
well).  To write to the OWL ontology I would recommend the OWL api.  The
functions shouldCreatePropertyAssertions and shouldCreateClassAssertions
from [4] show how to add statements that individuals have a particular
type and particular property values.

The hard work of course is making this more than a custom solution to
work with one particular database or spreadsheet.  So you are forced to
choose between

 1. writing and maintaining a graphical (or text based) program
    (possibly a Protege plugin) such as datamaster or mapping master or
 2. writing a one-off solution for one particular problem.

I have done the second option in the past but it must have been before
mapping master came out because I hope that I would have used mapping
master if it was there.  If you are considering the first option then I
would think that exploring the Protege 3 solutions would be less work.

-Timothy

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/jdbc/basics/index.html
[2] http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/